For admission to the Graduate School, applicants must hold either a bachelor's degree from a U.S. regionally accredited institution or a post-secondary degree that is equivalent to a U.S. baccalaureate degree earned from an officially recognized degree-granting international institution.
Admission is granted jointly by the Penn State Graduate School and Penn State Great Valley, who extends their academic programming to the Navy Yard. The Admissions Committee reviews applications and makes decisions based on the quality of an applicant's credentials relative to other applicants. For questions and more information, contact us at [email protected] or 610-648-3242.
International applicants should review specific application instructions before applying.
- Start the online application process. For MBA students, applicants must first designate Penn State Great Valley as their home campus and will later select Penn State at the Navy Yard as the preferred delivery location.
- Scan and upload a copy of the official transcripts from all institutions attended. Documents must be in either PDF or TXT format. Electronic copies cannot be uploaded directly, as the document will not appear in the application. Copies must be printed, scanned, and then uploaded to the application. Or, secure electronic transcripts may be sent to [email protected]. Penn State alumni do not need to provide transcripts.
- Upload a copy of a current resume.
- Attach a one-page written statement of intent highlighting work experience, academic background, skills, strengths, academic interests, and professional goals.
- Enter the contact information for one or two professional or academic references depending on the program of interest. Upon submission of the application, references will receive an email request to complete a brief online recommendation regarding the applicant’s commitment to success in the program. All references must submit the recommendation form in order for an application to be complete.
- Submit a non-refundable application fee of $65, payable by credit card online or by check or money order payable to the Pennsylvania State University.
- Scores must be submitted directly from the testing agency.
- For TOEFL and GRE, use code 2660.
- For GMAT, have scores sent to Great Valley - The Pennsylvania State University - School of Graduate Professional Studies.
- For the IELTS, an institutional code is not required. Please contact the test center where you took the IELTS and request that your test scores be sent to Penn State University electronically using the IELTS system.
The major testing services for English proficiency are still unable to offer on-site testing in many parts of the world. In recent weeks, the testing services have created alternatives to their on-site tests. To ensure that international applicants to the Graduate School have the opportunity to document their English proficiency in their application, the Graduate School has posted information about guidance and exceptions to Graduate Council policy GCAC-305 Admission Requirements for International Students. We now accept:
Details and acceptable scores for unconditional admission and provisional admission are posted here.
Please note that the DuoLingo English Test is not an acceptable test for admission to the Graduate School.